Yuba County, California Facts
Yuba County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Yuba Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Yuba County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.co.yuba.ca.us/
- County Seat: Marysville
- Created Date / Origin: February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties
- Boundary Changes:
- Territory which at one time was in Yuba County is now in Nevada County, Placer County, Plumas County, and Sierra County.
- Named After: the Yuba River by Captain John A. Sutter for the Indian village Yubu, Yupu or Juba near the confluence of the Yuba and Feather rivers. Vallejo stated that the river was named Uba by an exploring expedition in 1824 because of the quantities of wild grapes (uvas silvestres in Spanish) which they found growing on its banks.
- Bordering Counties: Placer County (south), Sutter County (west), Butte County (north), Plumas County (northeast), Sierra County (northeast), Nevada County (east).
- Cities & Towns: Marysville, Wheatland
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Beale AFB, Challenge-Brownsville, Linda, Loma Rica, Olivehurst
- Other Communities: Plumas Lake
Yuba County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Yuba County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Yuba County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Yuba County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Yuba County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Many of Yuba's early citizens objected to the use of the St. Charles Hotel, "a flimsy frame building with canvas partitions," as the county courthouse. Accordingly, they selected this sturdy design, modeled after the insignia of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, as the county's first true courthouse. The building in Marysville served the county for 107 years until 1962, when the courts moved to a more modern facility. The old courthouse was razed the following year.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Yuba County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county.
- Yuba County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Yuba County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 915 Eighth Street, Suite 107, Marysville, CA 95901
- Phone: (530) 749-7851
- Birth / Death Records: 1853 / 1858
- Marriage Records: 1851
- Land Records: 1850
- Yuba County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1850
- Court Records: 1851
- Yuba County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Yuba County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Yuba County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Yuba County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Yuba Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Appeal Democrat (Marysville, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Yuba County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Yuba County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Yuba Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Yuba Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Yuba Co. CA Census Records
Yuba Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Yuba Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Yuba Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Yuba Co. CA General and History Websites
Yuba Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Yuba Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Yuba County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Yuba Co. CA Schools & Directories