Tuolumne County, California Facts
Tuolumne County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Tuolumne Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Tuolumne County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.tuolumnecounty.ca.gov/
- County Seat: Sonora
- Created Date / Origin: February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties
- Boundary Changes:
- Territory which at one time was in Tuolumne County is now in Alpine County and Stanislaus County.
- Named After: The name Tuolumne is of Indian origin and has been given different meanings, such as Many Stone Houses, The Land of Mountain Lions and Straight Up Steep, the later an interpretation of William Fuller, a native Indian Chief. In his report to the first state Legislature, Vallejo said that the word is “a corruption of the Indian word talmalamne which signifies “cluster of stone wigwams.” The name may mean “people who dwell in stone houses,” i.e., in caves.
- Bordering Counties: Alpine County (north), Calaveras County (northwest), Stanislaus County (southwest), Mariposa County (south), Madera County (southeast), Mono County (east).
- Cities & Towns: Sonora
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Chinese Camp, Columbia, East Sonora, Groveland-Big Oak Flat, Jamestown, Mi-Wuk Village, Mono Vista, Phoenix Lake-Cedar Ridge, Soulsbyville, Tuolumne City, Twain Harte
- Other Communities: Confidence, Moccasin, Pine Mountain Lake
Tuolumne County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Tuolumne County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Tuolumne County Genealogical Society, 158 West Bradford Street, Sonora, CA 95370; Phone: (209) 532-1317
- Tuolumne County Historical Society, 158 West Bradford Ave, Sonora, California; Mailing address: P.O. Box 695, Sonora, CA 95370-0695; Phone: (209) 532-1317
- Southern Tuolumne County Residents Genealogy-Groveland Yosemite Gateway Museum , 18990 Main Street, Groveland, CA; (209) 962-0300
- Tuolumne County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Tuolumne County
- Tuolumne County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Tuolumne County
- USGenWeb Archives for Tuolumne County (usgwarchives.net)
Tuolumne County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Tuolumne County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Tuolumne County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Sonora legend has it that the perspective of this elegant building was changed to accommodate the wishes of a prominent citizen who lived across the street and wanted his home to face the front and not the side of the new courthouse. The Romanesque building featured several modern conveniences of the turn of the century; one local newspaper reported citizens touring the building "ablaze with electric lights." The courthouse remains in use and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Tuolumne County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county.
- Tuolumne County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Tuolumne County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 2 South Green Street, Sonora, CA 95370
- Phone: (209) 533-5531
- Birth / Death Records: 1858
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Land Records: 1850
- Tuolumne County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1852
- Court Records: 1852
- Tuolumne County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Tuolumne County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Tuolumne County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Tuolumne County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Tuolumne Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Tuolumne County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Tuolumne County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Tuolumne Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tuolumne Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tuolumne Co. CA Census Records
Tuolumne Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tuolumne Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Tuolumne Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Tuolumne Co. CA General and History Websites
Tuolumne Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tuolumne Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Tuolumne County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.