Tehama County, California Facts
Tehama County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Tehama Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Tehama County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.co.tehama.ca.us/
- County Seat: Red Bluff
- Created Date / Origin: April 9, 1856 from Colusa County, Shasta County and Butte County
- Boundary Changes:
- Much of Tehama County territory was in Colusa County from 1850 to 1856 when it was placed in the new county.
- Territory in Colusa County from 1850 to 1851 was in Shasta County from 1851 to 1856 when it was placed in the new Tehama County.
- Territory in Colusa County from 1850 to 1851 was in Shasta County from 1851 to 1857 when it was added to Tehama County.
- Territory was in Shasta County from 1850 to 1857 when it was added to Tehama County.
- Territory was in Shasta County from 1850 to 1856 when it was placed in Tehama County.
- Territory was in Butte County from 1850 to 1857 when it was added to Tehama County.
- Territory in Butte County from 1850 to 1851, was in Shasta County from 1851 until 1856 when it was placed in Tehama County.
- Territory which at one time was in Tehama County is now in Butte County and Glenn County
- Named After: the City of Tehama. Suggested possible roots are the Arabic word tehama (“hot low-lands”), the Mexican word tejamanil (shingle), or “high water” in the dialect of local Indians.
- Bordering Counties: Butte County (south), Glenn County (south), Mendocino County (southwest), Trinity County (west), Shasta County (north), Plumas County (east)
- Cities & Towns: Bend, Capay, Corning, Cottonwood, Flournoy, Gerber-Las Flores, Kirkwood, Lake California, Los Molinos, Manton, Mill Creek, Mineral, Paskenta, Paynes Creek, Proberta, Rancho Tehama Reserve, Red Bluff, Richfield, Tehama, Vina
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Gerber-Las Flores, Los Molinos, Manton, Mineral, Rancho Tehama Reserve
- Other Communities: Cottonwood, Dales, Paskenta, Paynes Creek
Tehama County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Tehama County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Tehama County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Tehama County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Tehama County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Tehama's first courthouse in Red Bluff was a popular meeting place for unions, political parties, baseball teams, and other community groups. On Sundays it was also a popular place of worship after the sheriff struck a compromise and allowed use of the court by Baptists in the morning, Presbyterians in the afternoon, and Methodists in the evening. The tower was added to the building in 1880, one of many improvements to the building and the grounds. The building was demolished in 1920 to make room for a new facility.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Tehama County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. Land later added from Shasta (1857) and Butte (1857).
- Tehama County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Tehama County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Birth / Death Records: 1889
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1856
- Tehama County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1856
- Court Records: 1856
- Tehama County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Tehama County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Tehama County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Tehama County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Tehama Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Red Bluff Daily News (Red Bluff, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Tehama County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Tehama County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Tehama Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Tehama Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Tehama Co. CA Census Records
Tehama Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Tehama Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Tehama Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Tehama Co. CA General and History Websites
Tehama Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Tehama Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Tehama County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Tehama Co. CA Schools & Directories