Solano County, California Facts
Solano County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Solano Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Solano County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.co.solano.ca.us/
- County Seat: Fairfield
- Created Date / Origin: February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties
- Boundary Changes:
- Most of the territory has been in Solano County since 1850.
- Mare Island, in Sonoma County from 1850 to 1853 was then added to Solano County.
- Territory which at one time was in Solano County is now in Napa County and Yolo County
- Named After: The county derives its name indirectly from that of the Franciscan missionary, Father Francisco Solano, whose name was given in baptism to the chief of one of the Indian tribes of the region. Before receiving the name Solano, the chief was called Sem-yeto, which signifies “brave or fierce hand.” At the request of General Mariano Vallejo, the county was named for Chief Solano, who at one time ruled over most of the land and tribes between the Petaluma Creek and the Sacramento River.
- Bordering Counties: Contra Costa County (south), Sonoma County (west), Napa County (west), Yolo County (north), Sacramento County (east)
- Cities & Towns: Benicia, Dixon, Fairfield, Rio Vista, Suisun City, Vacaville, Vallejo
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Elmira, Green Valley
- Other Communities: Collinsville
Solano County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Solano County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Genealogical Society of Vallejo-Benicia, 734 Marin Street, Vallejo, CA 94590
- Solano County Genealogical Society P O Box 2494, Fairfield, CA 94533; (707) 446-6869
- Solano Historical Society, PO Box 3009, Fairfield, CA 94533-0309
- Solano County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Solano County
- Solano County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Solano County
- USGenWeb Archives for Solano County (usgwarchives.net)
Solano County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Solano County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Solano County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Solano's first courthouse, in Benicia, was used as the State Capitol in 1853 and 1854 before the Legislature moved to Sacramento. Four years later, the county government left Benicia for Fairfield, where a new courthouse was built in 1860. The building and its additions served the county until 1911, when an overcrowded jail and offices forced construction of a new building. A classical, granite courthouse was built on the same site. In 1970, the county converted a high school into a new Hall of Justice and the courts vacated the old building, which is still in use as county offices.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Solano County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. Land was added from Mare Island in Solano County in 1853.
- Solano County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Solano County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 675 Texas Street, Suite 2700 , Fairfield, CA 94533
- Phone: (707) 784-6294
- Birth / Death Records: 1873
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Land Records: 1848
- Solano County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1850
- Court Records: 1850
- Solano County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Solano County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Solano County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Solano County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Solano Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Vallejo Times Herald (Vallejo, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- The Times Herald (Vallejo, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Solano County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Solano County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Solano Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Solano Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Solano Co. CA Census Records
Solano Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Solano Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Solano Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Solano Co. CA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for California
- Solano County History (rootsweb.ancestry.com) A Memorial and Biographical History of Northern California, 1891
- History of Solano and Napa Counties, California : with biographical sketches of the leading men and women of the counties, who (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Solano County : comprising an account of its geographical position, the origin of its name, topography, geology, and (search.ancestry.com)
- Solano County, California Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Solano County, California Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Solano Co. CA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Solano County, California (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - California - Counties - Solano (cyndislist.com)
- Solano County California (genealogytrails.com)
- Solano Co. CAGenweb (cagenweb.com)
- Solano County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Solano Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Solano Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Solano Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Solano County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.