San Joaquin County, California Facts
San Joaquin County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own San Joaquin Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
San Joaquin County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.sjgov.org
- County Seat: Stockton
- Created Date / Origin: February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties
- Boundary Changes:
- Most of San Joaquin County has been in the county since 1850.
- Territory was in Sacramento County from 1850 to 1878 when it was added to San Joaquin County.
- Territory which at one time was in San Joaquin County is now in Stanislaus County.
- Named After: The county takes its name from the San Joaquin River. In the early 1800s Lieutenant Moraga, commanding an expedition in the lower great Central Valley of California, gave the name of San Joaquin (meaning Saint Joachim) to a rivulet that springs from the Sierra Nevada mountains and empties into Buena Vista Lake.
- Bordering Counties: Stanislaus County (south & southeast), Alameda County (west), Contra Costa County (west), Sacramento County (north), Amador County (northeast), Calaveras County (east)
- Cities & Towns: Stockton, Lathrop, Lodi, Manteca, Ripon, Tracy, Escalon
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include August, Country Club, Farmington, French Camp, Garden Acres, Kennedy, Lincoln Village, Linden, Lockeford, Morada, North Woodbridge, South Woodbridge, Taft Mosswood.
- Other Communities: Banta, Mountain House, Victor
San Joaquin County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of San Joaquin County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- San Joaquin Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 690243, Stockton, CA 95269-0243
- San Joaquin County Historical Society, 11793 N Micke Grove Rd, Lodi, California 95240; Phone: (209) 331-2055
- Tracy Area Genealogical Society, Tracy Historical Museum, 1141 Adam Street, Tracy, California; 209-832-1106
- Golden Nugget Library's Genealogy Databases (freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com)
- San Joaquin County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in San Joaquin County
- San Joaquin County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for San Joaquin County
- USGenWeb Archives for San Joaquin County (usgwarchives.net)
San Joaquin County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of San Joaquin County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the San Joaquin County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Of all the substantial buildings erected in the late-19th-century boom years in Stockton ("destined to become the Chicago of the West," according to one writer at the time), the courthouse was the most impressive. Among its many marvels was a gas well "providing heat and light without cost to taxpayers" and a statue of Justice atop a dome that rose 172 feet above the street. The building was demolished in 1961 to make room for a new courthouse.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in San Joaquin County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. Land was later added from Sacramento County in 1878.
- San Joaquin County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- San Joaquin County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 44 N. San Joaquin Street, Suite 260, Stockton, CA 95202 ; Mail to: P.O. Box 1968, Stockton, CA 95201-1968
- Phone: (209) 468-8075
- Birth / Death Records: 1850 / 1858
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Land Records: 1850
- San Joaquin County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1850
- Court Records: 1851
- San Joaquin County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
San Joaquin County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to San Joaquin County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred San Joaquin County genealogy or family history associated sites.
San Joaquin Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- San Joaquin County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- San Joaquin County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
San Joaquin Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
San Joaquin Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
San Joaquin Co. CA Census Records
San Joaquin Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
San Joaquin Co. CA Church & Bible Records
San Joaquin Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
San Joaquin Co. CA General and History Websites
San Joaquin Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
San Joaquin Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for San Joaquin County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.