Sacramento County, California Facts
Sacramento County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Sacramento Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Sacramento County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.saccounty.net
- County Seat: Sacramento
- Created Date / Origin: February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties
- Boundary Changes:
- Territory which at one time was in Sacramento County is now in San Joaquin County.
- Named After: the Sacramento River. The word Sacramento signifies “Sacrament” or “Lord’s Supper.”
- Bordering Counties: San Joaquin County (south), Contra Costa County (southwest), Solano County (west), Yolo County (west), Sutter County (northwest), Placer County (north), El Dorado County (east), Amador County (east).
- Cities & Towns: Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, Folsom, Galt, Isleton, Rancho Cordova, Sacramento
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Arden-Arcade, Carmichael, Fair Oaks, Florin, Foothill Farms, Gold River, La Riviera, Laguna, North Highlands, Orangevale, Parkway-South Sacramento, Rancho Murieta, Rio Linda, Rosemont, Vineyard, Walnut Grove, Wilton
- Other Communities: Antelope, Herald, Locke
Sacramento County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Sacramento County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Genealogical & Historical Council of Sacramento Valley, PO Box 214749, Sacramento, CA 95821-0749
- Sacramento Genealogical Society - Root Cellar -, P.O. Box 265, Citrus Heights, CA 95611-0265
- Sacramento Historical Society, P.O. Box 160065 Sacramento, CA, 95816-0065; (916) 443-6265
- Sacramento Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 292145, Sacramento, CA 95829-2145
- Sacramento German Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 660061, Sacramento, CA 95866
- Sacramento River Delta Historical Society, The Jean Harvie Community Center, 14273 River Road, Walnut Grove, CA 95690; Mailing Address:
P O Box 293, Walnut Grove, CA 95690
- Folsom Historical Society-Museum, 823 Sutter St., Folsom, CA, 95630-2440; 916.985-2707
- Sloughhouse Area Genealogical Society
- Sacramento Public Library, 828 I Street, Sacramento, CA 95814;
Phone: (916) 264-2920
- Sacramento County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Sacramento County
- Sacramento County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Sacramento County
- USGenWeb Archives for Sacramento County (usgwarchives.net)
Sacramento County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Sacramento County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Sacramento County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Sacramento's first courthouse, built in 1851, became the Capitol in 1854 and was destroyed in a fire that same year. After the county outgrew its second courthouse, this three-story granite-and-marble county center was "built to last forever" but was abandoned in 1965 for a more modern facility and demolished in 1970. A new county jail was constructed on the site in 1989.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Sacramento County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. The first courthouse, built in 1851, became the Capitol in 1854 and was destroyed in a fire that same year.
- Sacramento County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Sacramento County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 600 Eighth Street, Sacramento, CA 95814 ; OR P.O. Box 839 , Sacramento, CA 95812-0839
- Phone: (916) 874-6334
- Birth / Death Records: 1858 / 1850
- Marriage Records: 1850
- Land Records: 1848
- Sacramento County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1849
- Court Records: 1849
- Sacramento County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Sacramento County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Sacramento County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Sacramento County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Sacramento Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Sacramento County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Sacramento County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Sacramento Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
- See Also Statewide Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Certificates in California
- Order Hard Copies of Vital Records (archives.com)
- Sacramento California, "Sacramento Bee" newspaper 1859, Obituaries, Marriages, Births (search.ancestry.com)
- Sacramento California, Sacramento Bee Newspaper 1889 - 1890: vital records (search.ancestry.com)
- Sacramento California, Sacramento Bee newspaper 1892: Vital Records (search.ancestry.com)
- Sacramento California, Sacramento Bee Newspaper 1891: vital records (search.ancestry.com)
- Sacramento [California] Bee Newspaper 1889 : Vital Records (search.ancestry.com)
- California Birth Index 1905 to 1995 (archives.com) California Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics
- California Death Index 1940 to 1997 (archives.com) California Department of Public Health, Center for Health Statistics
- California Marriage Records 1960 to 1985 (archives.com) California Department of Health
- Social Security Death Index (search.ancestry.com)
Sacramento Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Sacramento Co. CA Census Records
Sacramento Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Sacramento Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Sacramento Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Sacramento Co. CA General and History Websites
Sacramento Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Sacramento Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Sacramento County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.