Riverside County, California Facts
Riverside County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Riverside Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Riverside County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.countyofriverside.us/
- County Seat: Riverside
- Created Date / Origin: March 11, 1893 from San Diego County and San Bernardino County
- Boundary Changes:
- Most of the new county had been in San Diego County from 1850 to 1893 when it was moved to the new county.
- Territory in San Diego County from 1850 to 1851, and in Los Angeles County from 1851 to 1853, was in San Bernardino County from 1853 to 1893, when it was moved to the new county.
- Territory in Los Angeles County from 1850 to 1851, was in San Bernardino County from 1853 to 1893, when it was moved to the new county.
- Territory in Los Angeles County from 1850 to 1851, was in San Diego County from 1851 to 1893, when it was moved in to help create the new county.
- Named After: the City of Riverside, christened when the upper canal of the Santa Ana River reached it in 1871.
- Bordering Counties: San Bernardino County (north), La Paz County, Arizona (east), Imperial County (south), San Diego County (south), Orange County (west)
- Cities & Towns: Banning, Beaumont, Blythe, Calimesa, Canyon Lake, Cathedral City, Coachella, Corona, Desert Hot Springs, Eastvale, Hemet, Indian Wells, Indio, Jurupa Valley, Lake Elsinore, La Quinta, Menifee, Moreno Valley, Murrieta, Norco, Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Perris, Rancho Mirage, Riverside, San Jacinto, Temecula, Wildomar
- CDPs ( census-designated place) Include Bermuda Dunes, Cabazon, Cherry Valley, East Blythe, East Hemet, El Cerrito, Glen Avon, Highgrove, Home Gardens, Homeland, Idyllwild-Pine Cove, Lakeland Village, Lakeview, March ARB, Mecca, Mira Loma, Murrieta Hot Springs, Nuevo, Pedley, Quail Valley, Romoland, Rubidoux, Sedco Hills, Sun City, Sunnyslope, Thousand Palms, Valle Vista, Wildomar, Winchester, Woodcrest.
- Other Communities: Aguanga, Anza, Chiriaco Summit, Desert Center, Eagle Mountain, Eastvale, Lost Lake, Menifee, North Shore, Ripley, River Bend Lodge, Sun City Palm Desert, Thermal, White Water
Riverside County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Riverside County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Genealogical Society of Riverside, P. O. Box 2557, Riverside, CA 92516
- Palm Springs Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2093, Palm Springs, CA 92263; Phone: (760) 297-6430
- Palm Springs Historical Society, 221 South Palm Canyon Drive, Palm Springs, California 92262; 760-323-8297
- Temecula Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 157, Temecula, CA 92593-0157
- Riverside County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Riverside County
- Riverside County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Riverside County
- USGenWeb Archives for Riverside County (usgwarchives.net)
Riverside County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Riverside County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Riverside County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Riverside's original courthouse was rented space on the ground floor of a downtown hotel until a 1902 bond measure for construction of a monumental new courthouse won voter approval. Modeled on the Grand Palais in Paris, the building occupies nearly a full block and reflects Riverside's turn-of-the-century status as one of the state's wealthiest counties. After sustaining minor damage in previous earthquakes, in 1994 the building was vacated following the Northridge quake. Riverside's landmark was restored with funds from court filing fees and rededicated in October 1998.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Riverside County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county.
- Riverside County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Riverside County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 2724 Gateway Drive, Riverside, CA 92507, OR P.O. Box 751, Riverside, CA 92502-0751
- Phone: (951) 486-7000
- Birth / Death Records: 1893
- Marriage Records: 1893
- Land Records: 1893
- Riverside County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1893
- Court Records: 1893
- Riverside County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Riverside County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Riverside County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Riverside County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Riverside Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Desert Hot Springs Sentinel (Desert Hot Springs, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Riverside County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Riverside County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Riverside Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Riverside Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Riverside Co. CA Census Records
Riverside Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Riverside Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Riverside Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Riverside Co. CA General and History Websites
Riverside Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Riverside Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Riverside County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.