Fresno County, California Facts
Fresno County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Fresno Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Fresno County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.co.fresno.ca.us/
- County Seat: Fresno
- Created Date / Origin: April 19, 1856 from Mariposa County, Merced County, and Tulare County
- Boundary Changes:
- Territory was in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1856 when it was moved to Fresno County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1855, was in Merced County from 1855 to 1856 when it was moved to Fresno County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1852, was in Tulare County from 1852 to 1856 when it was moved to Fresno County.
- Territory in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1852, in Tulare County from 1852 to 1856, and in Fresno County from 1856 to 1874, was back in Tulare County from 1874 to 1876 when it was returned to Fresno County.
- Territory which at one time was in Fresno County is now in Inyo County, Kings County, Madera County, Mono County, San Benito County, and Tulare County.
- Named After: Fresno in Spanish signifies “ash tree” and it was because of the abundance of mountain ash or ash trees in the county that it received its name.
- Bordering Counties: Tulare County (south), Kings County (south), Monterey County (southwest), San Benito County (west), Merced County (northwest), Madera County (north), Mono County (northeast), Inyo County (east)
- Cities & Towns: Auberry, Big Creek, Biola, Bowles, Calwa, Cantua Creek, Caruthers, Centerville, Clovis, Coalinga, Del Rey, Dunlap, Easton, Firebaugh, Fort Washington, Fowler, Fresno, Friant, Highway City, Huron, Kerman, Kingsburg, Lanare, Laton, Malaga, Mayfair, Mendota, Mercey Hot Springs, Minkler, Monmouth, Old Fig Garden, Orange Cove, Parlier, Prather, Raisin City, Reedley, Riverdale, Rolinda, San Joaquin, Sanger, Selma, Shaver Lake, Squaw Valley, Sunnyside, Tarpey Village, Three Rocks, Tollhouse, Tranquillity, West Park
- Other Communities: Auberry, Biola, Bowles, Calwa, Cantua Creek, Caruthers, Del Rey, Easton, Friant, Lanare, Laton, Raisin City, Riverdale, Shaver Lake, Squaw Valley, Tranquillity, Big Creek, Dunlap, Mercey Hot Springs, Pinedale, Rolinda, Tollhouse
Fresno County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Fresno County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Central Sierra Historical Society, P.O. Box 617 - Shaver Lake, CA 93664 - p. (559) 841-4478
- Fresno County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1429, Fresno, CA 93716-1429
- Fresno City & County Historical Society,7160 West Kearney Boulevard, Fresno, CA 93706; Phone Number: 559.441.0862
- Fresno County Public Library, 2420 Mariposa Street, Fresno, California 93721;
Phone: (559) 488-3195
- Fresno County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Fresno County
- Fresno County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Fresno County
- USGenWeb Archives for Fresno County (usgwarchives.net)
Fresno County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Fresno County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Fresno County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Hailed at a cornerstone ceremony as "the grandest and noblest edifice that has ever been planned and contemplated in this valley," Fresno's courthouse could barely keep up with the county's booming population. By the turn of the century, the relatively modest brick building with its slender cupola had been expanded to an imposing structure with several wings, granite steps, and an enormous dome. A structural survey conducted in 1961 reported the many weaknesses of the old building, which was demolished following the construction of a new courthouse in 1966.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Fresno County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county.
Land was later added from counties Merced (1856) and Tulare (1856).
- Fresno County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Fresno County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Phone: (559) 600-3476
- Birth / Death Records: 1873
- Marriage Records: 1856
- Land Records: 1856
- Fresno County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Address: 1100 Van Ness Avenue, Fresno, CA 93724-0002
- Phone: (559) 457-2000
- Probate Records: 1880
- Court Records: 1856
- Fresno County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Fresno County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Fresno County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Fresno County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Fresno Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Fresno Bee Republican (Fresno, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fresno Weekly Republican (Fresno, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- Fresno Republican, The (Fresno, California) (search.ancestry.com)
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Fresno County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Fresno County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Fresno Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Fresno Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Fresno Co. CA Census Records
Fresno Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Fresno Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Fresno Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Fresno Co. CA General and History Websites
- See Also State History for California
- Fresno County History (rootsweb.ancestry.com) Memorial And Biographical History of the Counties of Fresno, Tulare, and Kern, California
- A Memorial and biographical history of the counties of Fresno, Tulare and Kern, California : containing a history of this impor (search.ancestry.com)
- Fresno, Tulare, and Kern Counties, California Biographical History (search.ancestry.com)
- History of Fresno County, California : with illustrations descriptive of its scenery, farms, residences, public buildings, fact (search.ancestry.com)
- Fresno County, California (search.ancestry.com)
- Fresno County, California Wikipedia (wikipedia.org)
- Fresno County, California Wiki (familysearch.org)
- Fresno Co. CA Genealogy (kindredtrails.com)
- Family History Library (familysearch.org)
- Fresno County, California (linkpendium.com)
- Cyndi's List - United States - California - Counties - Fresno (cyndislist.com)
- Fresno County California (genealogytrails.com)
- Fresno Co. CAGenweb (cagenweb.com)
- Fresno County Genealogy Queries (cousinconnect.com)
- Fresno Co. Data Collections (search.ancestry.com)
Fresno Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Fresno Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Fresno County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.