Del Norte County, California Facts
Del Norte County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Del Norte Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Del Norte County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.co.del-norte.ca.us/
- County Seat: Crescent City
- Created Date / Origin: March 2, 1857 from Klamath County
- Boundary Changes:
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, was in Klamath County from 1851 to 1857 when it was moved to Del Norte County.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, in Klamath County from 1851 to 1875, was in Humboldt County from 1875 to 1901 when it was added to Del Norte County.
- Territory in Trinity County from 1850 to 1851, in Klamath County from 1851 to 1875, was in Siskiyou County from 1875 to 1887 when it was added to Del Norte County.
- Territory which at one time was in Del Norte County is now in Humboldt County and Siskiyou County.
- Named After: The name of this county signifies “the north,” and the county derived its name from its geographical position in the extreme northwest corner of the state.
- Bordering Counties: Humboldt County (south), Siskiyou County (east), Josephine County, Oregon (northeast), Curry County, Oregon (north)
- Cities & Towns: Crescent City
- Other Communities: Gasquet, Smith River, Bertsch-Oceanview, Crescent City North, Klamath
Del Norte County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Del Norte County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
Del Norte County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Del Norte County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Del Norte County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - Crescent City was named the county seat when Del Norte was created from the now-defunct Klamath County in 1857. Years later, in the 1883 election, residents approved bonds for a courthouse in a vote of 176 for, 84 against. Local historians say that it was here in the 1930s and 1940s that the unsuccessful movement to create the State of Jefferson, with a local judge as its first governor, was organized. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1948, and a new courthouse was built across the street from the original location.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Del Norte County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county. Land was later added from counties Siskiyou (1887) and Humboldt (1901). The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1948. Some early records were destroyed.
- Del Norte County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Del Norte County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Address: 981 H Street, Suite 160, Crescent City, CA 95531
- Phone: (707) 464-7216
- Birth / Death Records: 1873
- Marriage Records: 1857
- Land Records: 1853
- Del Norte County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Address: 450 H Street, Room 209, Crescent City, CA 95531
- Phone: (707) 464-8115
- Probate Records: 1848
- Court Records: 1848
- Del Norte County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Del Norte County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Del Norte County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Del Norte County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Del Norte Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Del Norte County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Del Norte County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Del Norte Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Del Norte Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Del Norte Co. CA Census Records
Del Norte Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Del Norte Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Del Norte Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Del Norte Co. CA General and History Websites
Del Norte Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Del Norte Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Del Norte County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.