Butte County, California Facts
Butte County, California genealogy and family history research page. Identify links to record collections, history, and genealogy resources to help you locate your own Butte Co., ancestors. Get going by constructing a Free Family Tree.
Butte County Facts
- Government Website: http://www.buttecounty.net/
- County Seat: Oroville
- Created Date / Origin: February 18, 1850 as an original county
- Boundary Changes:
- Most of its territory has been in Butte County since 1850.
- Territory in Butte County from 1850 to 1856, was moved to Tehama County when that county was formed in 1856, then returned in 1859 to Butte County.
- Territory in Butte County from 1850 to 1856, was moved to Colusa County in 1856, then returned in 1872 to Butte County.
- Named After: derived from the Marysville or Sutter Buttes, which lay within the boundaries when it was created. The word butte is derived from the Teutonic word meaning “a blunt extension or elevation.” In the French language, it signifies “a small hill or mound of earth detached from any mountain range.”
- Bordering Counties: Yuba County (south), Sutter County (south), Colusa County (southwest), Glenn County (west), Tehama County (north), Plumas County (east)
- Cities & Towns: Biggs, Chico, Gridley, Oroville, Paradise
- Other Communities: Bangor, Berry Creek, Butte Meadows, Camp Eighteen, Centerville, Cherokee, Cohasset, Dayton, DeSabla, East Biggs, Feather Falls, Forbestown, Forest Ranch, Inskip, Merrimac, Nord, Oregon City, Pulga, Richvale, Stirling City
Butte County Societies and Family History Resources
A list of Butte County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- California State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Butte County Historical Society, P.O. Box 2195, Oroville 95965; 530.533.9418
- Paradise Genealogical Societey, 5587 Scottwood Road, PO Box 460, Paradise, California 95967-0460; Phone: 530-877-2330
- Chico California Family History Center , 2430 Mariposa Ave, Chico, CA 95926; Phone: 530-343-6641
- Gridley California Family History Center, 348 Spruce Street, Gridley, CA 95948-2262; Phone: 530-846-3921
- Oroville California Family History Center, 2390 Monte Vista Avenue, Oroville, CA 95966;
- Butte College Library, 3536 Butte Campus Drive, Oroville, CA 95965
- Butte County Library, 1820 Mitchell Avenue, Oroville, CA 95966; Phone: (530) 538-7525
- Butte County, California Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Butte County
- Butte County, California Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Butte County
- USGenWeb Archives for Butte County (usgwarchives.net)
Butte County Courthouse and Government Records
Researchers often overlook the advantages of Butte County court, probate, and land files as a useful resource of genealogical details. Hidden away in California courthouses and archives everywhere tend to be the dreams and frustrations of the many California inhabitants.
The possibilities are great that your potential forefathers have left a detailed document of at least a number of facets of their lives in the Butte County court records. Even if your ancestors is not mentioned in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods that could have lead to her or him showing up in court records.
Courthouse History - The courts occupied a brick building in downtown Oroville for the duration of the “Courthouse Wars”–a century-old contest between Oroville and Chico for the county seat. It was here in 1911 that Ishi, regarded as the last member of the Yahi tribe, stayed before traveling to San Francisco, where for several years he lived on the campus of the University of California. The courts moved to a new county center in 1965, and the original court building was demolished after it sustained damage in a 1975 earthquake.
Remember to get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other specifics prior to visiting or seeking information because of in some cases changing contact details. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The data files are readily available to interested parties, barring private issues. A good number of employees will assist persons in obtaining the materials, but it's up to the person to do the research.
Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
The following facts indicates whatever marriage, birth, death, land, wills, and court records will be in Butte County. The years indicated below are considered the first widely known records for this county.
- Butte County Courthouse (Completed 1856, all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Butte County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Birth / Death Records: 1859
- Marriage Records: 1851
- Land Records: 1846
- Butte County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Probate Records: 1850
- Court Records: 1850
- Butte County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- California Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in California for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Butte County Links
The following are web links to Genealogy, Records and Resources relevant to Butte County. A majority of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Business Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a payment. This is basically a listing which has been gathered or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site above another. Feel free to suggest your own preferred Butte County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Butte Co. CA Books, Newspapers & Publications
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978) (genealogybank.com) Easily identify names and keywords in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth announcements along with other items written in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. Completely new content added each month!
- Butte County, California Books (amazon.com)
- California Newspapers
- Search California Obituaries (1985 to current) (genealogybank.com) Over 28 million obituaries containing helpful information such as names, dates, places of birth, death, marriage and family information make this the most complete collection from the 20th and 21st centuries - 1,100 U.S. newspapers.
- Butte County California Genealogy Books (books.google.com)
Butte Co. CA Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Butte Co. CA Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Butte Co. CA Census Records
Butte Co. CA Cemeteries & Graveyards
Butte Co. CA Church & Bible Records
Butte Co. CA Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
- California Pioneer Project - The California Pioneer List (CPL) is a list of settlers to California who migrated to or were born in California prior to 1880 (included in the 1880 California Census) and obtained from those sent (e-mailed) directly from individuals doing genealogical research.
Butte Co. CA General and History Websites
Butte Co. CA Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Butte Co. CA Military Records
- California Military Records (fold3.com) gives you easy access to military records, stories, photos, and personal documents of the California individuals that served. Great for Butte County genealogists, researchers, historians and more.
Butte Co. CA Schools & Directories