Gila County, Arizona Facts
Gila County was established on February 8, 1881 from Parts of Maricopa County and Pinal County. The county was named Gila River, a river that flows through Arizona, whose name comes from a Pima Indian word. .
The Gila County Seat is situated in Globe plus the county government website is http://www.gilacountyaz.gov
Areas neighboring Gila County actually are Yavapai County (northwest), Maricopa County (west), Pinal County (south), Graham County (southeast), Navajo County (east, northeast), Coconino County (north).
Cities and towns found in Gila County comprise of Globe, Hayden, Miami, Payson, Star Valley, Winkelman. . Unincorporated Communities located in the county include Kohls Ranch, Punkin Center. .
Gila County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1890 (fragment, see below), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. Gila Co. Union Veterans Schedules can be acquired for 1890. You'll find free online and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Gila County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Gila County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Arizona State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Gila County Historical Society and Museum,1330 N Broad Street, Globe, AZ 85501; telephone: (928) 425-7385
- Northern Gila County Genealogical Society, 302 E. Bonita, Payson AZ, 85541-5012; Phone: (928) 474-2139
- Northern Gila County Historical Society, P.O. Box 2532, 700 Green Valley Parkway, Payson, Arizona 85547; (928) 474-3483
- Pine-Strawberry Archeological And Historical Society , Located on Route 87 (Beeline Highway) , P.O. Box 564, Pine, Arizona 85544; (928) 476-3547
- Rim Country Museum , 700 Green Valley Parkway, Payson, AZ 85541, ; 520-474-3483
- Gila County, Arizona Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Gila County
- Gila County, Arizona Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Gila County
- USGenWeb Archives for Gila County (usgwarchives.net)
Gila County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the benefits of Gila County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of family history and genealogy details. Hidden away in Arizona courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Arizona people. The possibilities are excellent that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least some factors of their lives in the Gila County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details in advance of visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of workers will guide individuals in locating the resources, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the basic research.
The below facts indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records are in Gila County. The years stated listed below are the first known records for this particular county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Gila County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 714 S Beeline Hwy, Payson, AZ 85541
- Phone: (928) 474-3978
- Gila County Clerk of Superior Court issues marriage licenses, maintain marriage and divorce records, civil, domestic, criminal, juvenile and probate records, Notary Public Bonds and Commissions, and any other duties that the presiding judge may prescribe.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: 1889
- Probate Records: 1881
- Court Records: 1881
- Gila County Recorder has two principle duties. The first duty of the County Recorder is to record documents, as required by law, to be public record. Instruments recorded include real estate transactions, mortgages, deed of trust, family trusts, personal property, tax liens, mining locations, subdivision plats, records of survey, military discharges, official appointments of office, and other documents required to be made of public record. The second major duty concerns elections since the County Recorder is also the registrar of voters for the county. This involves maintaining the county register, conducting early voting, verifying petition signatures, lists for political parties and candidates, and jury lists.
- Gila County Assessor has the statutory duty to locate, identify and value all taxable property in the county’s jurisdiction. The Assessor’s office maintains ownership of certain files, provides public services, value all land, improvements, and personal property annually, maps all parcels and maintains all tax authorities (area and boundaries). The utilization of recorded documents, deeds, plat maps and sub-divisions are among the tools used by the Assessor’s Office to accomplish several of these tasks.
- Arizona Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arizona for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Gila County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Gila County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a directory which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own favorite Gila County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Gila Co. AZ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Gila Co. AZ Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Gila Co. AZ Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Gila Co. AZ Census Records
Gila Co. AZ Cemeteries & Graveyards
Gila Co. AZ Church & Bible Records
Gila Co. AZ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Gila Co. AZ General and History Websites
Gila Co. AZ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Gila Co. AZ Military Records
Gila Co. AZ Schools & Directories