Coconino County, Arizona Facts
Coconino County was established on February 19, 1891 from Yavapai County. The county was named Coconino Native American people, a Hopi designation for Havasupai and Yavapai people. .
The Coconino County Seat is situated in Flagstaff plus the county government website is http://www.coconino.az.gov/
Areas neighboring Coconino County actually are Mohave County (west), Yavapai County (south), Gila County (south), Navajo County (east), San Juan County, Utah (northeast), Kane County, Utah (north).
Cities and towns found in Coconino County comprise of Flagstaff, Sedona. Williams, Fredonia, Page. . Unincorporated Communities located in the county include Canyon Diablo, Doney Park, Forest Lakes, Happy Jack, Jacob Lake, Valle, Winona. .
Coconino County does have Federal Census Schedules to help in researching your family tree. Federal Population Schedules are present for 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930 and 1940. You'll find free online and also printable census forms to aid with your research.
Coconino County Society and Family History Resources
A list of Coconino County Historical and Genealogical Societies, Forums, Message Boards, Libraries, Archives.
- Arizona State Genealogy Network (facebook.com)
- Arizona Historical Society- Northern Arizona Division (Pioneer Museum) , 2340 North Fort Valley Road, Flagstaff, Arizona; (520) 774-6272
- Coconino County Genealogical Society, 649 E. Edison, Williams, AZ 86046
- Flagstaff City Coconino County Library, 300 W. Aspen Avenue, Flagstaff, AZ 86001; Phone: (928) 779-7670
- Museum of Northern Arizona , 3101 N. Fort Valley Rd., Flagstaff, AZ 86001; 520-774-5213
- Northern Arizona Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 695, Prescott, AZ 86302
- Page Public Library, 479 Lake Powell Blvd, Page, AZ 86040; Phone: (928) 645-5802 or (928) 645-4270
- Sedona Historical Society and Museum , P.O Box 10216, Sedona, Arizona 86339; Phone:+1.928.282.7038
- Sedona Public Library, 3250 White Bear Road, Sedona, AZ 86336; Phone: (928) 282-7714
- Williams Public Library, 113 S. First Street, Williams, AZ 86046; Phone: (928) 635-2263
- Coconino County, Arizona Message Boards (boards.ancestry.com) read and post messages about your ancestors in Coconino County
- Coconino County, Arizona Genealogy Forum (genforum.genealogy.com) read and post messages with other genealogy researchers for Coconino County
- USGenWeb Archives for Coconino County (usgwarchives.net)
Coconino County Courthouse and Government Records
Genealogist frequently fail to notice the benefits of Coconino County court, probate, and land records as a useful resource of family history and genealogy details. Hidden away in Arizona courthouses and archives just about everywhere tend to be the aspirations and frustrations of the many Arizona people. The possibilities are excellent that your potential ancestors have left a in-depth record of at least some factors of their lives in the Coconino County court records. Even if your forebears is not brought up in a Court case, contemplate all of the other methods which often can have lead to her or him appearing in court records.
I highly recommend you get in touch with the clerk's dept to verify hours, mailing address, fees and other details in advance of visiting or seeking information because of sometimes changing contact information. The Department Offices DO NOT DO RESEARCH. The records are readily available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. The majority of workers will guide individuals in locating the resources, but it is up to the particular person to undertake the basic research.
The below facts indicates exactly what birth, death, marriage, land, probate, and legal records are in Coconino County. The years stated listed below are the first known records for this particular county which may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, court records, and so forth.
- Coconino County Courthouse (all departments listed below are located here, unless otherwise noted)
- Address: 200 N San Francisco St, Flagstaff, AZ 86001
- Phone: 928) 679-7600
- Coconino County Clerk of Superior Court issues marriage licenses, maintain marriage and divorce records, civil, domestic, criminal, juvenile and probate records, Notary Public Bonds and Commissions, and any other duties that the presiding judge may prescribe.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: 1891
- Probate Records: 1892
- Court Records: 1891
- Coconino County Recorder has two principle duties. The first duty of the County Recorder is to record documents, as required by law, to be public record. Instruments recorded include real estate transactions, mortgages, deed of trust, family trusts, personal property, tax liens, mining locations, subdivision plats, records of survey, military discharges, official appointments of office, and other documents required to be made of public record. The second major duty concerns elections since the County Recorder is also the registrar of voters for the county. This involves maintaining the county register, conducting early voting, verifying petition signatures, lists for political parties and candidates, and jury lists.
- Coconino County Assessor has the statutory duty to locate, identify and value all taxable property in the county’s jurisdiction. The Assessor’s office maintains ownership of certain files, provides public services, value all land, improvements, and personal property annually, maps all parcels and maintains all tax authorities (area and boundaries). The utilization of recorded documents, deeds, plat maps and sub-divisions are among the tools used by the Assessor’s Office to accomplish several of these tasks.
- Arizona Office of Vital Records has copies of birth, marriage, divorce and death records. There is a fee for each copy requested. Please refer to the information to the Statewide Vital Records in Arizona for current fees and application process. Birth, marriage, and death records are connected with central life events.
Coconino County Links
The following are links to Family history and genealogy, Records and Resources pertaining to Coconino County. Most of these genealogy links fall into 3 categories: Professional Sites, Private Sites or Organization Sites. Some have free access some require a fee. This is basically a directory which has been compiled or submitted. I do not recommend or promote one genealogy site over another. Feel free to furnish your own favorite Coconino County genealogy or family history associated sites.
Coconino Co. AZ Books, Newspapers & Publications
Coconino Co. AZ Birth, Marriage & Death Records
Coconino Co. AZ Court, Probate Land and Tax Records
Coconino Co. AZ Census Records
Coconino Co. AZ Cemeteries & Graveyards
Coconino Co. AZ Church & Bible Records
Coconino Co. AZ Family Websites, Pictures & Histories
Coconino Co. AZ General and History Websites
Coconino Co. AZ Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers
Coconino Co. AZ Military Records
Coconino Co. AZ Schools & Directories